The solution...

For the gearheads in the audience
fonetik2003

The solution...

Post by fonetik2003 »

Alright, after messing around with it a bit, I have determined that it's not exactly the size of the ring that's hindering me with the CB-6000S so much as the small locking pins. Now, I have a CB-2000 kit with all of the locking pins, which are longer than the locking pins for the CB-6000S and after measuring have determined that the locking pins have a circumference of 5 mm. The standard locking pins with the CB-6000S have a specific non-circular shape. So I believe that if I borrow my father's drill, I can increase the size of the holes on the CB-6000S to fit the CB-2000 locking pins.

The only problem now is, I need to borrow my father's drill without him knowing exactly what it's for... Also! Anyone have any experience or advice regarding this issue?
0 x
Tom Allen
Site Admin
Last orgasm: April 1st, 2018
Orgasms this year: 0

Re: The solution...

Post by Tom Allen »

The old style locking pins are 1/4" (slightly over 6mm). The 6000 pins are about 3/16" across the narrow section, and just a bit over 1/4" at the large end.

If he has a range of drill bits, find one that just fits the hole in the flange and drill through slowly. Wiggle that bit around slightly to enlarge the hold. Then go for the next size up, and the next, until you get to the 1/4" drill bit. After drilling it with the 1/4", test the old pin for fit, but don't wiggle the bit in the hole, because you don't want it too large.

My devices are all modified to take both styles. It shouldn't take more than 10 minutes.
0 x
Atone

Post by Atone »

How funny is it going to be when Tom gets a call from his son later this week asking to borrow his power drill.

-A
0 x
Tom Allen
Site Admin

Post by Tom Allen »

As long as he puts it back, and doesn't leave it in the middle of the garage floor like he does with the other stuff he borrows.
0 x
fonetik2003

Post by fonetik2003 »

Well in any case, 6 mm you say? Alright! Taken under advisement! Now, I know that if I tell him that I need to repair something in the apartment, he's just going to tell me to call maintenance. Which I never do anyway, but that's another story... I guess I could tell him that I need to work on one of our tables? That's a good excuse right? And I'll make sure that I'm borrowing the entire bit set with it so I can implement these proceedings. Thank you Tom!
0 x
Atone

Post by Atone »

Tom is very experienced with modifying the CB series devices so you might want to see what he has to say about this but I would try using a small rat tail (round) file. I have one that has fine teeth and is pretty easy to control in this kind of situation.

I understand what Tom is having you do and I have done the same thing on plastics many times in the past but it is not the easiest thing to do especially if you aren't experienced with it (in other words if you haven't broken lots of things previously). It is easy for the drill bit to grab the plastic and either take out a big chunk (or crack it) or spin the whole thing around and break something else.

Good luck with it whatever you do.

-A
0 x
Tom Allen
Site Admin

Post by Tom Allen »

Atone wrote:I understand what Tom is having you do and I have done the same thing on plastics many times in the past but it is not the easiest thing to do especially if you aren't experienced with it (in other words if you haven't broken lots of things previously). It is easy for the drill bit to grab the plastic and either take out a big chunk (or crack it) or spin the whole thing around and break something else.
Which is why I told him to start with the smaller drills and work up.

Also, make sure that the cage is pressed firmly on the table.

Look, if you're a tool newb, make sure you place a block of wood on a table, so when the drill breaks through the hole, you're drilling into the scrap block, and not into your furniture.

I have a drill press, but you're probably using a handheld. Place the flange end on the block as flat as you can (it's okay if part of the cage hangs over the edge). If it's a variable speed, start with a slow RPM and don't press too hard, or the drill will bite into the plastic and start to whip around. And actually, it wouldn't be a bad idea to first cover the holes and flange with masking tape. This will keep it from getting scratched, and the tape will help keep the plastic from cracking if you bear down too hard.

If the only drills you have are 5mm and 6mm, then wiggle the 5mm around in the hole to open it up as much as you can, so you're not taking too much with the 6mm.

Sheesh, I'm gonna start a video cast and call it "This Old Chastity Device".
0 x
fonetik2003

Post by fonetik2003 »

Sure! And these are great tips. I'm not a tool newb, but I've never worked on plastic pieces before, so I'd like to know what not to do with this...
0 x