David's Year of Orgasm Denial

Living the real life under lock and key
davidphd1866

Re: David's Year of Orgasm Denial

Post by davidphd1866 »

uugghhh! and I got were and was mixed up!!!!!

Now I really DO need to be locked for an additional month...
0 x
Dev

Post by Dev »

The author lamented that the word "data" has become accepted for both singular and plural.
I've had heard that before. In fact, I once had a doctoral student try to argue that with me (she didn't want to fix her dissertation). You know what I said? "Bullshit." LOL

D
0 x
The Key is on my Nipple Ring
a couple's explorations with a chaste life, from the wife's point of view
Dev's Gallery
my stash of good looking men
Keyheld: Chastity Resources for Lovers
davidphd1866

Post by davidphd1866 »

Amen.

Writing carefully--if not well--is at least a sign of respect for the reader.

Heck, if the Forum IS going to have some aspect of "femdom", may it be the ladies insisting on good grammar and writing! . . . . . as a minimal sign of respect.
0 x
likes2blocked

Post by likes2blocked »

Dev wrote:
The author lamented that the word "data" has become accepted for both singular and plural.
I've had heard that before. In fact, I once had a doctoral student try to argue that with me (she didn't want to fix her dissertation). You know what I said? "Bullshit." LOL
I've had book editors tell me the same thing, while I pointed out the mistakes, and fixed them. Perhaps data is now accepted as both singlular and plural outside of academia. It is certainly a common mistake, but the overall level of adherence to proper writing has dropped, IMHO. The number of people who don't know the difference between 'your's and your' or worse yet 'affect' and 'effect' is appalling.
0 x
keyhldr

Post by keyhldr »

How about the difference between your and you're? Affect and effect? Bare and bear? The list goes on and on . . .

I am appalled at how many people today cannot spell or use proper (or even 'close enough') grammar.
0 x
EDAS

Post by EDAS »

And there's the difference between "then" and "than"... yes, the list goes on.
0 x
Tom Allen
Site Admin
Last orgasm: April 1st, 2018
Orgasms this year: 0

Post by Tom Allen »

Dev wrote:
But the "raw" data is being collected.
Data are. The "raw" data are being collected.

Sorry, "data is" is like nails on a chalkboard for me and I must compulsively correct. I hope you understand, David, especially since we are in for a year of data collection adventures. :D
Dev, the word "data" has a collective noun aspect, which makes the singular construction acceptable in most instances (depending upon the context, of course). "Data is being collected" follows the same construction as "The herd is being rounded up." Yes, you *could* say "The herd are being rounded up," but for contemporary English usage, it just sounds... odd to the ear.
0 x
Dev

Post by Dev »

Your ear and my ear will just have to agree to disagree on this one, Tom. "Data is" makes me cringe.

D
0 x
The Key is on my Nipple Ring
a couple's explorations with a chaste life, from the wife's point of view
Dev's Gallery
my stash of good looking men
Keyheld: Chastity Resources for Lovers
likes2blocked

Post by likes2blocked »

Tom Allen wrote:Data is being collected" follows the same construction as "The herd is being rounded up." Yes, you *could* say "The herd are being rounded up," but for contemporary English usage, it just sounds... odd to the ear.
Bad example, though I take your point. There's one herd. What people don't realize (though I know you do), and why this is such a common mistake, is that data is the plural of datum. Because it isn't obviously plural (cow vs. cows, etc), it lends itself to being used improperly.

The thing is that we may as well not fight it. Words and usage do change meaning over the years, and when it has gotten to the point that professional editors tell me that 'data' has become both singlular and plural outside of scientific realms, then the language has changed.
Last edited by likes2blocked on Sat Nov 13, 2010 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Tom Allen
Site Admin
Last orgasm: April 1st, 2018
Orgasms this year: 0

Post by Tom Allen »

likes2blocked wrote: Bad example, though I take your point. There's one herd. What people don't realize (though I know you do), and why this is such a common mistake, is that data is the plural of datum. Because it isn't obviously plural (cow vs. cows, etc), it lends itself to being used improperly.
Would that be a data point, or a datum point? :lol:

Ooops, will you look at the time? Gotta jet...
0 x