Swimming pools and stainless steel

Living the real life under lock and key
carolina cyclist

Swimming pools and stainless steel

Post by carolina cyclist »

MrsL's Steelheart arrived yesterday. We had already planned to go down to the neighborhood pool yesterday afternoon and even though I really didn't want to take it off after only an hour, MrsL convinced me to take it off because of the chlorine in the pool.

I am sure this questions has been asked/answered on here before but thought I would ask: can the stainless steel withstand chlorinated pools?

Thanks, in advance, for the feedback!
0 x
Currently locked in MrsL's Steelheart.
http://www.thechastecyclist.com
The Grinder

Re: Swimming pools and stainless steel

Post by The Grinder »

In short - stainless steel isn't proof vs chlorine but with reasonable care it should be fine. I swim in my Lori's tube and so far no problems - I just shower like normal after a dip in the pool.

Here is link explaining how to care for stainless steel pool equipment - http://www.halcyon.net/faq/ss_care

The Grinder
0 x
Tom Allen
Site Admin
Last orgasm: April 1st, 2018
Orgasms this year: 0

Post by Tom Allen »

The stainless steels used in chastity devices are in the Austenitic family: they are non-magnetic, high chrome, and exceptionally resistant to chemicals because the oxygen in the atmosphere forms a tough bond several molecules deep that prevents other chemicals from reacting with the metal. The common grades that you see commercially generally have a UNS series number in the 300s, with 302, 304, and 316 the most commonly used for the materials that would be used for these devices.

For reference, "kitchen stainless" is typically 302/304, while "medical/surgical stainless" is typically 316.

Mature Metal uses 316, and my guess is that the Chinese devices use the more common 304.

Any of them should hold up just fine against pool or salt water. Trust me: by the time the pool chlorine is strong enough to affect the stainless, you would already be in the hospital.
0 x
prthomas

Post by prthomas »

Tom wrote:For reference, "kitchen stainless" is typically 302/304, while "medical/surgical stainless" is typically 316.

Mature Metal uses 316, and my guess is that the Chinese devices use the more common 304.

Any of them should hold up just fine against pool or salt water.
Thanks for this reply. I had locks on my CB6K that turned green, and so I was concerned about the MM JB I have on the way. Good question and answer.
0 x
Michele

Post by Michele »

My hubby swims in his Jail Bird all the time in pools and has never had an issue... Oh and Thumper, too, swims a lot in nothing but his Steelheart :) Mmm caged skinny dipping!
0 x
Wife, Girlfriend & KeyHolder
My boys are Wearing: Jail Bird (cm) Steelheart (a)
Owned Devices: MM Jail Bird (x2), MM Spyder, MM Locking Double Cockring, Steelworxx Revenge
Click here for Our blog & Podcast
Tom Allen
Site Admin
Last orgasm: April 1st, 2018
Orgasms this year: 0

Post by Tom Allen »

prthomas wrote: I had locks on my CB6K that turned green, and so I was concerned about the MM JB I have on the way. Good question and answer.
Locks are a different matter. Most of them are made with brass or aluminum, or sometimes they have an inexpensive alloy steel casing. Regular brass will turn green with salt water, but it's pretty harmless. I used the same Masterlock for years - just a bit of baby oil in the holes once in a while, or after a day at the beach, maybe some WD40 squirted inside.

The brass Masterlocks sold with the older CB-X devices were the best. I'm not sure how these never ones will hold up long term.
0 x
carolina cyclist

Post by carolina cyclist »

Thanks everyone!
0 x
Currently locked in MrsL's Steelheart.
http://www.thechastecyclist.com